After months of saying we need to sign up for the great local food co-op known as Bountiful Baskets, this past Saturday we finally pulled the trigger! They are localized all over the United States, so if you happen to live here, I would greatly recommend looking into it!
You have to sign up each week before Tuesday, and pick up at a designated location at 7 a.m. on Saturday morning of the same week. It’s just $15, and the value of the basket is immediately apparent. The baskets will constantly change based on what’s in season, and what’s available in your region. I mean just look at this pile of fresh fruits and veggies!
With that much fresh produce, I knew that a plan of attack would be important to make sure none of it goes to waste.
That afternoon, I was craving a sandwich something fierce, and with this much fresh ammo, it was a no-brainer. What came out was a damn near perfect sandwich for my particular tastes. Lots of flavors, lots of textures, lots of everything. Most importantly, lots of awesome! From the Bountiful Basket, I used a tomato, cucumber, avocado and some spinach. The rest I had on hand already.
For my ideal sandwich, I think balance is the most crucial aspect. You don’t want an overpowering flavor to get in the way, nor do you want multiple competing flavors that don’t know why they were invited to your sandwich party. Creamy, fatty avocado helps balance out the acidity and tartness of the pickles. Fresh cucumber for crunch and a little sweetness from the tomato.
My one regret in the end is that I forgot to go buy my favorite sandwich addition…sprouts 😦
In the end, I didn’t even miss them. After being on a soup kick as of late, it was a breath of fresh sandwich-y air to bite into this beast. Mouth-feel is tragically underrated, sometimes it just feels good to bite into something substantial. Also, eating with my favorite utensils (HANDS!) never gets old.
The sandwich is rounded out with some low sodium turkey breast and salami. Dave’s Killer Good Seed bread is my all time favorite and I thankfully had some slices leftover for this bad boy!
- 6-10 thin slices of low sodium turkey
- 6-10 thin slices of salami of your choice
- 1 tbsp of kewpie mayo
- 1/3 small hass avocado (mashed)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (handful) fresh spinach
- 4 thin slices of pickles (4 pickle chips if that’s what you have)
- 1/2 whole tomato (sliced thin)
- 1/4 whole cucumber (sliced thin)
- 2 slices Dave’s Killer Good Seed Bread
- Make Sandwich….
- My exact sandwich had the avocado mashed, then spread on the bottom bun with some lemon juice squeezed on top to brighten the flavor and protect from browning. Kewpie mayo on the top slice. The rest is up to your imagination.